Friday, October 17, 2008

In reply to Alia

My dear friend, tagged me in a survey about weddings. She of course knows that I am a dreamy romantic whose ideal past time is to set up her friends.

The thing is, I don't believe in marriage.

Coming from an Asian background,a marriage appears to be a licence to have sexual intercourse. You see,people in my country can be trialled under the syariah courts for having premarital sex. Telling your parents you are sexually active is still taboo in most homes. Sex is evil. Period.

From an Indian perspective, it seems like girls are treated like fruits, needed to be sold before they rot and stink. Marry them off before,god forbid they are old maids whose biological clocks has chimed!

I have seen many powerful man in my life, and their trophy wives. Many men who love their wives, and also several others. How many business meetings consist of going with the flow ,of drinks and women? Do brothels survive on the hormones of 18 year-old boys with no money?

And women, the so-called fairer sex.The marrying for money, status and security.

I don't want a marriage, it is scary.

I want a friend.A friends who is as crazy as I am. A friend whom I can make silly nerdy jokes with and fight with everyday; from politics to the Doppler effect. A friend whom I trust with my life. A friend whose company is home and shoulders are heaven. A friend who doesn't comply with convention and would rally against the world with me. A friend with abundant optimism; we are going to change the world you see. A friend whom appreciates the beauty in little things, in us.

Needless to say, I know fairy tales are not true. But,just in case I get lucky, eloping would just be fine by me, dear sir.


p/s: need to make parents happy, hence the need for eloping. Just finished an exam, pardon the grammatical errors...ok, must go noe...sleep becons

5 comments:

shehatesme. said...

cayang, i meme-d u. Check out the domain to see what it means. I hope to god ur parents dont see this. It'll bagi them white hairs instantly. But, i agree with u in some finer points. hehe.

Alia said...

haha, at least u responded. :) very well written too I may add! I'd never be brave enough to write something like that tho, lest I get burnt at the stake!! Hehe.

Lava said...

lol Rach, my dad's hair is already almost all white...wonder what i have been doin to him

N the meme thingy, I'm in the grey zone for most of the questions and even if I am I don't think I am ready to write about them, sorry hun.

haha Alia, you are one of the bravest woman I know, and I wish I had your way with words that teleports the readers into little Alias who can feel and touch the experiences you describe.

Alia said...

Oh wow, you have no idea how flattered I am to hear that from you! Thanks dear.. You made my day :)

Ace said...

Fairy tales do come true.

It's just that sometimes... you need to realise that you need to look at the Brother's Grimm versions instead of the Disney ones.

Okay, hang on.

A more accurate analogy but definitely a more morbid one too. Sigh.