Thursday, August 14, 2008

Lesson learned.

It is time. While I watched displays of others bitching,shunning and basking in an orgiastic display of ego, i learned. My views changed, vacilated, bounced around and now has settled down.

1) Walk away. Dignified. You may choose to set the record straight, but your friends will still see the best in the imperfect you.
2) People will let you down and you will let people down. Do not punish or beat yourself up.
3) Remember the kindness and only the good attributes of your friends.
4) If you can't, they are probably not your friends anyway.Separating from toxic people is the first big scary step. But when you finally do it, suddenly, it isn't anymore.
5) You don't need everyone to like or love you.
6) Respect is a pretty good alternative for popularity.

Thank you for those who stuck around and knocked my head while I was down with the self-destructive habits that almost veered me off the track. It is ironic that i am thankful for all that happened too. The lessons gave me a big fat blast of self-awareness and confidence. I will never be that naive or stupid ever again.

2 comments:

Miss Aida said...

I think everyone has a streak of self-destruction. Sometimes it just takes a different perspective or a different person to help you see the destruction from a different perspective.

Unknown said...

I agree with much of what you said here, sweetie. If we look for nastiness, we will find it; if we look for beauty, we will find it too. They're both 'out there'. It's our choice which one we choose to focus on & build our lives around.

I do think though, that respect is FAR more important & worthwhile than popularity.

As for your final paragraph ... when you can look back on bad times and be glad for them, you have learnt the lessons they contained. Remember that saying, "What doesn't kill you will make you stronger"? :) That's what has happened.

Lots of love, as always... Mom!